Welcome to the Consulate in Hong Kong

The Norwegian Consulate was officially re-opened in October 2008 with Mr. LIU Cheng-chan, also known as Mr. C.C. Liu, as the honorary consul. Mr. Sidney Wong, who has been working in Hong Kong for Norway more than four decades, is responsible for managing the consulate office and for consular and other services to Norwegian citizens and companies. Here you can find information about the services of the Norwegian Consulate in Hong Kong:

How to apply for a passport?

Children under the age of 12 can submit an application for a passport at the Honorary Consulate in Hong Kong. Adults and children age 12 and older must apply at the Consulate General in Guangzhou or at the Embassy in Beijing.

For more information about how to apply for a passport, click here.

Contact details of the honorary consulate in Hong Kong:

Norwegian Consulate
Room 1510-1512, 15th Floor, West Tower, Shun Tak Centre
168-200 Connaught Road Central
Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2546 9881
Fax: (852) 2546 9887 / (852) 3003 6506
Email: hong-kong@norwayconsulate.com

Applicants must come in person to submit the application. All applications will be forwarded to the Embassy in Beijing for processing.



Norwegian citizens do not need a tourist visa to Hong Kong. Upon arrival you will get a stamp in your passport that allows you to stay here as a tourist for three months. In order to get this, your passport must be valid for at least six months. You cannot take up employment with this type of permit.

Please note that if you want to visit mainland China you need a visa. If you are already staying in Hong Kong but does not have a visa for China you can submit a visa application to the following office:

Visa Office, Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China in the Hong Kong SAR
7/F., Lower Block,
China Resources Building,
26 Harbour Road,
Wanchai, Hong Kong.
Tel: (852) 3413 2300

If you are not in Hong Kong, please contact the closest Chinese Embassy for further help and information.


Marriage in Hong Kong

All the Norwegian foreign stations, either the Embassy or consulates in China, cannot solemnise a marriage.

A marriage can take place at a marriage registry by a registrar; or in a licensed place of public worship by a competent minister or at any other place in Hong Kong by a civil celebrant of marriages. Please see Hong Kong government homepage for more information. 
For instance, the Danish Seaman’s Church in Hong Kong or you can get in touch with the Swedish priest Per Larsson either on telephone (852) 2792 2448, fax (852) 2792 9706 or e-mail: danseakc@netvigator.com for more information. 
For information about Norwegian foreign stations with authority to solemnise marrige, please click here.


Register upon arrival to Hong Kong

We recommend that Norwegians travelling or living abroad register their contact information online at www.reiseregistrering.no. The registration is voluntary but means that the Foreign Ministry can contact you should anything happen in the area you are travelling in. The information registered on www.reiseregistrering.no will not be shared and is protected by the Data Protection Act.


Norwegians and Norwegian organisations in Hong Kong 

The Norwegian population in Hong Kong is increasing gradually. In our records for those who have registered, there are more than 250 Norwegians living in Hong Kong in 2011. If the figure includes those who have not registered, we estimate there are about 300 Norwegians in Hong Kong and Macau. 

Klubb Norge is a hub for Norwegians to mingle with each other in social activities. It is a private organisation that organizes various events during the year. This often includes the traditional “julebord”, 17th May celebration, boat trips, lunches, etc. 

Norwegian Chamber of Commerce, Hong Kong, which was founded in 1984, is a business platform for Norwegian companies & companies with Norwegian interests and individuals with linkage to Norway.

There is an international Norwegian primary school in Tai Po, New Territories of Hong Kong, Norwegian International School, a non-profit making school owned by the Norwegian Lutheran Mission (NLM).  

However, the Norwegian Seaman’s Church is no longer operating in Hong Kong. Instead, an ambulating priest with responsibility for South-East Asia travels to this region regularly.


Work in Hong Kong?

The Consulate in Hong Kong cannot help Norwegians in their search for jobs, however, job vacancies can be found from the two local English newspapers South China Morning Post and The Standard.

Please notice that you need a work permit from the local government to acquire a paid job in Hong Kong. Please contact the Chinese Embassy in Oslo for more information or contact the immigration department in Hong Kong:

Immigration Department 
Immigration Tower,
 7 Gloucester Rd,
Wanchai, Hong Kong.
Tel: (852) 2824 6111. Fax: (852) 2824 1133 or 2877 7711. 
E-mail: enquiry@immd.gov.hk

The same office can help you with information regarding the Hong Kong ID-card. More information about visa, see above. 

Bookmark and Share