Passport applications must be lodged in person during the Embassy or Consulate General’s opening hours. Please contact the Embassy or Consulate General to schedule an appointment.
The following documentation must be submitted when applying for a passport:
- One completed passport application form. Forms are available at the Embassy or Consulate General.
- Old passport (if applicable).
- The applicant must show a valid Chinese visa or residence permit in his/her Norwegian passport.
- Passport photo (please see further information below).
- The applicant is requested to pay the passport fee upon application. For updated passport fees, please click here.
Passport for children (under 18 years old)
Parents must accompany their children in order to sign the passport application form. In the event that only one parent can accompany the child, written consent and identification of the other parent must be provided. This also applies if one of the parents is not a Norwegian citizen.
From the age of 12 the child is requested to sign the passport application. From 6 April 2010 onwards all passport applicants from 12 years old must also provide finger prints using the biometric machine at the embassy. For children under 6 years of age, it is recommended to bring passport pictures.
Children under the age of 18 applying for their first Norwegian passport must in addition to the above supply the following:
- Legalised birth certificate showing the names of both parents.
- Both parents' passports. This also applies if one of the parents is not Norwegian.
- Parents' marriage certificate, if applicable.
- First time applicants must apply for a Norwegian social security number before the passport can be issued.
Passport issued to children under the age of 16 have the following validity:
- Two years validity for children under 5 years old.
- Three years validity for children between 5 to 10 years old.
- Five years of validity for children between 10 to 16 years old.
Collection of Norwegian passport
Passports are produced in Norway and it usually takes 2-4 weeks before it can be collected at the Embassy or Consulate General. Your new passport may be collected during opening hours (Monday to Friday, 10:00 - 16:00).
You may keep your existing passport until your new passport has been issued. When you collect your new passport, your old passport will be cancelled, however, any valid visas will be left intact. Remember to bring your old passport when collecting your new one.
The passport photo is usually taken on the biometric machine at the Embassy or Consulate General. However, we advise you to bring one passport photo for children under 6 years old.
Requirements for the photo:
- The photo must be clear and of high quality.
- The photo must be in colour.
- The photo must be taken within the last 6 months.
- The photo must be taken from straight ahead (focusing on the eyes) against a white background.
- The photo must show the entire head and the top of the shoulders without shading.
- Eyes must be open and clearly visible; eyes must not be covered by hair.
- Ears must not be covered.
- Glasses must not be worn.
- The mouth should be closed.
You may obtain an emergency passport at the Embassy or Consulate Generals. Emergency passports are only issued in emergency situations, for example if original passport is lost when travelling in China. Emergency passports are not machine-readable.
You will need to submit the same application form and documentation as for a normal passport application. In addition, please bring two passport photos. If the original passport was lost or stolen a police report must be made and submitted when applying for the emergency passport. The fee is the same as normal passports.
Passport applications in Hong Kong and Ulaanbaatar
Passport applications received in the Honorary Consulates in Hong Kong and Ulaanbaatar will be forwarded to the Embassy in Beijing.
Norwegian Honorary Consulate
Rooms 1510-1512, West Tower, Shun Tak Centre,
168-200 Connaught Road, Central,
Telefon: (852) 2546 9881
Norwegian Honorary Consulate-General
SOS Medica Mongolia LLC
4a Building, Big Ring Round
15th Microdistrict, 7th khoroo