Photo: Orsolya Haarberg/ NTB Scanpix.Photo: Orsolya Haarberg/ NTB Scanpix

About the Schengen Visa

From 25th March 2001 Norway became part of the Schengen co-operation. For visa purposes, this means that a visa for entry into any one of the countries in the Schengen area will normally also be valid for all the other Schengen countries within the period for which the visa is valid. However, over a period of six months you are not permitted to spend more than a total of 90 days inside the Schengen area.

The Embassy or Consulate-General of the country of your main destination is the competent authority to deal with the application. If the main destination cannot be determined, the application should be submitted to the embassy of the country in which the longest visit shall be. If the visits in different Schengen countries are of equal length, the first destination shall be the determining factor.

Schengen visas are issued by and valid for the following member states: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden, and Switzerland. 

Visa applications should be submitted at the Foreign Service Mission of the member state of your main destination.

A visa to the Schengen countries is issued on condition that the applicant leaves the Schengen area before the visa expires. If you remain in Norway for longer than the visa period, you may be expelled from the country. You may also encounter difficulties in connection with any future applications for visa or residence permit. A visitor does not entitle you to work in Norway.

All nationals who wish to enter Norway must meet the requirements of the Immigration Regulations. Before applying for a Schengen visa to Norway, you must make sure that you have a passport or official travel document which is valid for at least three months beyond your stay in the Schengen area. All passports must contain two blank visa-pages.


  • If you plan to travel in and out of Schengen, you must state in the application form that you want several entries. It is particularly important for seafarers to remember this.
  • You cannot work while you are visiting Norway on a visitor's visa.
  • You cannot get a visitor`s visa to apply for a residence permit in Norway.
  • The reason for your travel to Norway cannot be to receive medical treatment. If that is the case, you have to apply for a residence permit for medical treatment.
  • If you have been in the Schengen area in the last 90 days, you must check when it is possible for you to re-enter, and how many days you can stay in Schengen. Please use the visa calculator to check this (


Where to apply:

Royal Norwegian Embassy
No. 1 Dong Yi Jie,
San Li Tun Beijing 100600 P.R. China
Tel: (+8610) 85319610 Fax: (+8610) 65322140
E-mail: Website:

Residents of the provinces of Shanghai, Anhui, Jiangsu, Jiangxi and Zhejiang should submit their applications to:

Royal Norwegian Consulate General Shanghai,
Room 1701, Bund Center
No.222 East Yan'an Road Shanghai 200002 P.R.China
Tel: (+8621) 60397500 Fax: (+8621) 60397501
E-mail: Website:  

Residents of the provinces of Guangdong, Fujian, Guangxi and Hainan should submit their applications to:

Royal Norwegian Consulate General Guangzhou
Suite 1802, CITIC Plaza,
No. 233 Tian He North Road
510613 Guangzhou P.R.China
Tel: (+8620) 3811 3188 Fax: (+8620) 3811 3199
E-mail: Website: 

Hong Kong residents (holders of SAR or BNO passports only) and Macau residents (holders of SAR passports only) are exempt from visa requirements to Norway for stays up to 90 days during a period of 180 days. Applications for residence permit should be submitted to the Royal Norwegian Embassy in Beijing.

Nationals who are residents of Hong Kong, but not included in the visa exemption agreement, may submit applications for business visa to Consulate General of Finland Rm. 2405-2408 24/F Dah Sing Financial Centre 108 Cloucester Road Wanchai Hong Kong.

Bookmark and Share